1. Gourmet kitchens with high-end accessories: Costly kitchen additions don’t pay off when you list your home for sale. In general, too much customization in a home turn buyers away.
2. Whirlpool baths: Potential buyers will not pay extra for a newly installed whirlpool bath. In addition, the costs for installing a whirlpool tub can be prohibitive and raise energy bills.
3. Home office remodeling: The average home office renovation costs around $28,000, and you will receive about a 46% return on investment for this pricey remodel.
4. Garage additions: Homeowners who build a garage typically only see a 62% return on an investment that costs tens of thousands of dollars. Not a good idea if you plan to sell soon.
5. Expensive landscaping: Creating an over-the-top backyard paradise won’t add to your asking price. So, if you plan to sell your home in the next few years, you won’t recoup the cost of expensive landscaping in the sale.